Sunday, May 6, 2012

Attacked by Pitbull

I really debated on posting this, but I have a lot of friends that have dogs on their truck and want them to be aware. My baby got jumped two days ago in Santa Maria, CA at a truck stop by a Pitbull. He luckily, is fine, but it was a terrifying experience.

We were taking our morning walk, and yes he was on a leash. We started to head to the back of all of the trucks, not much vegetation of choice for pottying at this location, when we came around the corner and I saw her...not on a leash. I figured...that's where I made my mistake, that nobody in their right mind would let an unsafe dog just wonder without a leash...I was wrong. As soon as the two dogs made eye contact she made a beeline for London and immediately attacked him. I freaked out. The owner screamed at me to pick up my dog, but it all happened so fast. I know from experience when we had two St. bernards and two goldens, picking up your dog is the last thing you want to do because then you become part of the game too. I couldn't pick him up and she had him on his side and was ready to clamp down before I knew it. The owners got on top of her and she ended up biting him, which if you ask me is perfect karma, but not before Londons collar was broken and he luckily got away. He immediately took off running...not something you want to happen at a truck stop, but he ran straight back to our truck. I opened the door and he flew up the steps. I quickly checked him to make sure he wasn't bleeding and when I saw fur missing, but no puncture marks, I slammed the truck door and took off back to kick some ass. I was livid. The owner had quickly returned to his truck. I hunted him down and by that time I could hardly breath I was so angry. All he kept saying was I'm so sorry, she has never done that before. For the record, I don't believe a word of it. I didn't call the police because we were on private property and nothing would have been done. The owner was from Alabama and he wasn't a company driver so there wasn't much I could do. He had the nerve to tell me my dog wasn't on a leash. I knew at that point that my breath was wasted. I took pics of his truck in case London had any issues and asked to see the dogs proof of a rabies shot and I let it go.

The last couple days have been slow ones for London. He is swollen under his left leg, but it is getting better. Thank God it is just bruised...I know it could have been ten-fold worse. He is in better spirits today, so I know he is on the mend.

I now carry a tire thumper that Jeff bought for us, which looks like a bat, with me every time we walk. It has changed my opinion on pitbulls....I know, its the owner, but I also know the breed is unpredictable. Scary stuff.

1 comment:

  1. So glad London is safe and you are safe also. I know a lot of Pit Bull owners are not assholes but most of them are. Pit Bulls are completely unpredictable and how many times have we heard "he has NEVER done that before. He is so sweet normally" I call BS, you never kow with a Pit Bull. I suspect you could have had the police involved regardless of private property. This was not a driving. I know a lot of dogs may be just as unpredictable as Pit Bulls, the difference is your ability to defend yourself due to their strength.

    ReplyDelete