Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I-24 @ Paducah, KY...closed

So, we leave out of Denver late...not until 22:30 on Monday. Making great time until the 24 eastbound came to a stop. All traffic diverted off the highway. A dump truck ran over 2 four- wheelers, dont believe either one survived.  This is the part of the job I don't like. However, this is the first time in two years an interstate has been closed on us, other than nasty weather. So now the mad scramble to either get around it or wait out the storm. I had 8 semis following me...like I knew where I was going! I pulled into a convenience store that allowed me easy exit around the building. Jeff and I both walked in to use the facilities and ask about how to get back on the interstate...after the accident. The cashier, maybe 21 years old, blond pixie cut hair with her ends dyed hot pink, tats all over her and the customer, young girl in her 20's, capris, clean shirt, no shoes. I have to admit, I pre- judged in my head..but these two girls were angels. They not only gave us directions back to the interstate, they also told us about this yummy Mexican food restaurant on the way...with enough room for our truck to park. I grabbed London and took him for a brief walk through the hood. By the time I got back to the truck, the shoe- less one had asked Jeff where I went to cause it wasn't such a great neighborhood and she was worried about me wondering around. She took off in her car looking for me to make sure I was safe. We stopped and had an awesome dinner and with perfect directions made it back safely onto I-24.

This is why I love my job. Who knew in Paducah, KY...you still meet good people with good hearts. Have faith America, there are still great people in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment